Nothing quite beats making and using your own home-made facial masks. In fact, you can turn the whole thing into a home-spa event – except that it’s a much more affordable way to rejuvenate and nourish your skin, and you’ll know there will always be wine and chocolates close at hand!
An A-lister skin remedy
Nichola Joss is the professional facialist who attends to the skin-care needs of celebrities such as Meghan Markle and Gwyneth Paltrow. So if you’ve ever wondered just how the Duchess of Sussex manages to maintain that pore-less complexion and fabulous glowing skin, Nichola reveals that at-home face masks have a big role to play in the beauty regime of such stars.
A big fan of DIY face-masks, which she believes are amazing, Nichola explains the reason they are so popular with her clients is down to the fact that they’re easy and virtually free to make. Even better, when you can use kitchen-cupboard items as skin-care essentials for soothing, brightening and exfoliating, you will always feel much more in control of what you’re putting on your face. Such treatments can often help to combat acne and other dermatological conditions too.
A Brightening Papaya Honey Mask
Recipe: Mix together half a cup of mashed papaya, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 whipped egg white.
Method: Apply the mask mixture to your face, and then leave it for around 15 minutes. And while your face is covered and the mask is doing its work, you can relax and try your luck with some online casino games. Use lukewarm water to rinse and remove the mask. Then afterwards, pat your skin dry.
Papaya is renowned as a natural skin brightener, so you can use it to produce a glowing complexion. And papaya is also a natural exfoliator you can apply to promote the growth of healthy skin cells.
Honey Avocado Hydrating Mask
Recipe: 1 mashed mango, 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of avocado, 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Method: Ensure the ingredients are well mixed together, either by hand or using a blender. Apply the mask and leave for 15 minutes, before cleaning off with a warm cloth.
This green mask is great as a quick fix for dry skin and focuses on the benefits of avocado, a key ingredient full of B vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. These elements help to revitalise the lipid layer of your skin, giving you a brighter and plumper complexion. The olive oil works as a soothing anti-inflammatory which gently calms your skin, while the mango is a great source of Vitamin C which will get to work to brighten up your face.
Cocoa Dream Hydration Mask
A favourite recommended by Holly Monson, spa manager at Ocean Pearl Spa in California, this mask blends three natural ingredients guaranteed to work wonders for your skin. The avocado provides lots of hydration, cocoa is an antioxidant with great skin-soothing properties, while honey acts both as an anti-inflammatory and as an antibacterial agent. As an extra bonus, the mask is fully edible and has a great taste.
– Use a small bowl to mash up one quarter of an avocado.
– Then stir in one tablespoon of cocoa powder plus one tablespoon of honey. Mash and mix all ingredients thoroughly.
– Make sure your face is clean and dry. Then apply the mask for 10 minutes.
– Wash in warm water to remove the mask, before moisturising as usual.
Organic Banana Face Mask
Sharōn Ronen L.E, who is the founder and owner of Skin Haven Spa Studio & WellSpa in Australia, suggests this tropical-style face mask to give your complexion a boost. Sharon explains this recipe has been designed to be gentle enough to use on any type of skin, and should leave your face feeling fresh and healthy with a really natural-looking glow.
– Start by mashing up half a banana in a bowl.
– Then add a tablespoon of orange juice plus a tablespoon of honey, and blend all the ingredients together.
– Now you’re ready to apply the mask to your face: Don’t worry about any lumps, and be prepared to leave the exotic-tasting mixture in place for a good 15 minutes.
– Remove by rinsing off with lukewarm water, and then continue with your usual moisturising routine.
A Breakfast Mask
Sharōn Ronen also mentions a special breakfast-themed mask for oily skin. This recipe uses a magic blend of soothing oatmeal and tightening egg yolks which helps to calm and mattify a skin which has become greasy.
– Blend together one egg yolk, one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey with half a cup of breakfast oatmeal.
– Stir this mixture well together. Then apply the breakfast mask to your face and leave for between 15 and 20 minutes.
– To remove the mask: Rinse off your face in lukewarm water and then apply your usual moisturiser.